5 Reasons to Shop Small
Have you ever taken a moment to stop and think about how powerful your dollar is? A lot of the time it doesn't even cross our mind as we're swiping our cards or apple paying mindlessly.. those daily coffee's, bacon and eggs or that cute as tee in the shop window.
Small changes in how we spend our money can lead to big positive changes in our economy. It seems like every where we look stores are doing everything they can to get you to shop with them. But the positive to that, is at the end of the day you get to make that choice. You decide which businesses and brands you want to support, choosing to support local, choosing to support a friend, choosing to support brands with values and ethos that align with your own self!
Your choice in purchasing local products at your grocers rather than imported products will show the grocers what's most important to you as the customer, and ultimately that will lead them to stock more of the local products. The same mentality applies when you choose your clothing, choosing to shop ethically over big names could ultimately lead to these big companies changing their morals and values which ultimately can change our economy positively.
We looked to our friends over at Yireh who shared five short but sweet reasons to support small businesses:
1. Small businesses support our communities. Out of every $100 spent at a local shop, $68 stay in the community; compared to $43 at a national chain. This also keeps your tax dollars in your local communities, funding your public schools, roads, etc.
2. Small businesses have a huge economic impact.
3. Smaller businesses are often more transparent. Often times you can get to know the actual faces behind the brand and know exactly how/where your items were made. Not in all cases, but usually, smaller businesses have the chance to source materials locally and manufacture ethically in small batches. Bigger box names are able to manufacture more, keeping their price points low, but often times their factories are reported to have unsafe and unfair working conditions, so not always a purchase you can feel great about.
4. Smaller businesses often offer a more personalised and overall better quality shopping experience. To them you are the most important person in the world, to a bigger box name you are one in a million. A small business will more than likely bend over backwards to win your satisfaction, and it will mean a lot to them to do so.
5. When you support a small business, an actual individual on the other end is doing a little happy dance. You can always feel good about your purchase.
We know it’s not easy, but if you can, shop small.
Leave a comment and let us know why supporting small is important to you as a customer!